Climate Action Plan, Development of Microgrid, and Workforce Development Program Clean Energy and Construction Among Sustainable Columbus Program Highlights
The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) has recertified the City of Columbus as a Sustainable2050 community with an elevated status for their actions to promote sustainability and equity.
Sustainable2050 is MORPC’s voluntary program that supports members’ sustainability efforts through direct assistance, collaboration, and recognition. Each member’s tier status – Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum – is determined by the number of eligible activities corresponding to MORPC’s Regional Sustainability Agenda. The goals include:
- Improve air quality and reduce climate change impacts to protect public health and the environment.
- Protect and preserve natural resources to support a healthy and resilient region.
- Improve quality of life for all residents by creating sustainable and equitable communities.
- Promote robust, inclusive, and sustainable growth and development.
The City of Columbus completed 88 eligible activities across four categories, achieving the Platinum Plus Equity Champion designation. Highlights from Columbus include:
- The first-ever Climate Action Plan, outlining strategies which can significantly reduce Columbus’ greenhouse gas (GHG) footprint while creating a more equitable and resilient community;
- The Tussing Booster Station Solar Microgrid, consisting of solar arrays with a battery storage system, allowing for back-up power for up to 8 hours;
- The Columbus Urban Forestry Master Plan, providing guidance for the Columbus community to prioritize, preserve, and grow the tree canopy;
- LinkUS, a collaborative initiative to bring rapid transit solutions and transportation options to accommodate population growth; and
- The EMPOWERED! program, a workforce development program in partnership with IMPACT Community Action that prepares graduates for job opportunities in construction and clean energy.
MORPC members can join Sustainable2050 by passing a resolution to formalize their voluntary commitment to the Regional Sustainability Agenda’s (RSA) goals. The RSA includes a comprehensive menu of actions and initiatives that members may consider as they advance local sustainability efforts.
Sustainability initiatives can vary based on each community’s priorities and include efforts such as expanding recycling and waste reduction programs, expanding recreational trail networks, increasing energy efficiency of their buildings, and installing electric vehicle charging and rooftop solar.
Sustainable2050 members are certified by MORPC’s Sustainability Advisory Committee and recognized by the commission’s board of representatives. Currently, there are 38 local communities and regional organizations participating in MORPC’s 15-county region; 20 of those members have earned their tier status certification.
Learn more about Sustainable2050.