Our team is hard at work advocating on behalf of the region in the halls of the Ohio Statehouse and U.S. Capitol. We work closely with civic leaders and partner organizations to prioritize the aspirations of our local communities and communicate those aspirations to elected and appointed officials.
MORPC’s government affairs work is guided by the agency’s Regional Policy Roundtable — a committee that includes representatives from local governments, businesses, non-profits, and other community stakeholders. The roundtable offers guidance on current issues and in the development of a biennial public policy agenda that serves as a framework of our policy positions and assists staff in navigating advocacy efforts.
MORPC 2023-2024 Lead Public Policy Goals
- Regionalism – Promote regionalism at the local, state, and federal levels of government to create an environment of prosperity for all Central Ohio residents by fostering economic growth, equity, and efficient use of resources.
- Transportation – Achieve an advanced, inclusive, safe, and exceptional transportation system that connects Central Ohio’s people and products to the world.
- Sustainability – Pursue sustainability solutions that protect and conserve our natural resources and promote a diverse supply of clean, affordable, and reliable sources of energy for our growing region.
- Data and Digital Infrastructure – Promote effective data policies and the equitable deployment of digital infrastructure that benefits Central Ohio communities.
- Racial and Social Justice – Raise awareness of racial and social justice issues and work to continually improve communities within our growing region.
Our policy advocacy for 2021-2022 includes the following:
- House Bill 2 (Broadband Expansion) – House Finance Committee – Feb. 9, 2021
- Senate Bill 8 (Broadband Expansion – Senate Energy & Public Utilities Committee – Feb. 9, 2021
- House Bill 74 (State Transportation Budget) – House Finance Committee – Feb. 18, 2021
- House Bill 74 (State Transportation Budget) – Senate Transportation Committee – March 10, 2021
- House Bill 110 (State Operating Budget) – House Finance Committee – April 15, 2021
- House Bill 110 (State Operating Budget) – Senate Finance Committee – June 4, 2021
- House Bill 283 (Distracted Driving Primary Offense) – House Criminal Justice Committee – June 10, 2021
- House Bill 110 (State Operating Budget) Update August 2021
- Senate Bill 105 (Minority business, women-owned business, and veteran business enterprises certification) -House Economic and Workforce Development Committee – October 25, 2021
- House Bill 110 (State Operating Budget) – Letter of Interest to Conference Committee – June 16, 2021